I took a cargo ship to go from Santo, Brazil to New York to study in 1960.
I met on board an Italian journalist from Luca and we became friendly. Since he had been to America several times, I therefore asked him about the racial situation in America and whether I, being an Asian would be given equal treatments there.
I still remembered him telling me that it was the blacks who were treated badly, but as an Asian I should have no problems.
At the same time I made friend with a black American sailor in his fifties. He was very friendly and told me a lot about things in Americaç; I really enjoyed speaking with him.
Then when we entered the harbor in Charleston, South Carolina(or North CArolina?), I confronted the first tough attitude from an Immigaration Officer who came on board to check the passengers.
I was called upon to speak with him, he was someone in his fifties, with a very pale red face, spoke with a Southern drawal. When I told him I was going to college in Adrian, Michigan, he immediately told me that I could not leave the ship.
Then I saw the first helping attitude from the Americans (of which I would come accross many times in America later on), a ship officer sitting at the table argued with the Immigation Officer by saying that since very few people will be on board therefore I should go on shore and do some sightseeing and then return to boat.
Finally the Immigration Officer backed down and allowed me to go for a sightseeing on shore.
It was the very first time I came to face a tough Immigration Officer and a very helpful ship officer from the USA.
I welcome comments and opinions from others.
Assinar:
Postar comentários (Atom)
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário